Here at WhiteClouds, we 3D printed several models for our booth at the SLC Comic Con Fan Experience that occurred in April, 2014. One of those models includes a 3D-printed Minecraft building that our designer, Kyle Gifford, created in the game and 3D printed. The piece is made of full-color, sandstone-like material and has 29 separate pieces.
Designer: Kyle Gifford
Number of Layers: 1681
Layer Resolution: 89 Microns (Slightly thinner than a human hair.)
Build time: 12 hours
Dimensions: 7 x 13 x 7”
Printer: ProJet 660Pro
Fun Character Facts:
- There are 13 monsters, 4 animals, and 5 characters on the piece
- All the monsters, characters, animals, and TNT blocks were printed separately and glued on, except for the spider.
- The spider climbing on the wall was printed with the building
- The model itself was printed in one piece
- Most of the characters are skins used by Minecraft players in the office
Gifford states, “The piece was designed in the game, and exported into a usable file format using Mineways. I modeled the characters by hand in Maya, and slightly changed their proportions to be printable. The print itself used nearly the entire build tray available on the Projet 660.”
To 3D print your own Minecraft creation from the game, read our tutorial about 3D printing Minecraft.