Thor, a god from Norse Mythology, is associated with thunder, lightening, storms, oak trees, strength, hallowing, healing, fertility and the protection of mankind. Thor wears a belt and iron gloves and is best known for his powerful hammer, called Mjölnir. In modern days, Thor has appeared in books, TV shows, movies and as a Marvel Comics’ superhero.
Our 3D-printed figurine of Thor is set on a cobblestone base. The character is wielding his hammer in a powerful battle position. He has a long, flowing cape, long blond braids and dragon skull shoulder plate positioned over one of his shoulders. The detail on his face shows a fierce expression—staying true to mythology.
- Designer: Kyle Gifford
- Number of Layers: 531
- Layer Resolution: 89 Microns (Slightly thinner than a human hair.)
- Build time: 2 hours, 43 minutes
- Dimensions: 5.5 x 2.1 x 4.9”
- Printer: ProJet 660Pro
- Software Used: Maya and Photoshop
Fun Character Facts:
- In mythology, Thor was married to Sif, the earth goddess.
- Thor is known as the strongest of all gods and men.
- In mythology, Thor’s hammer, known as Mjölnir, was not just used to destroy. He would also use his hammer to consecrate and bless.
“This design was heavily influenced by the modern depiction of Thor, as shown by his blond hair and long red cape,” said Gifford. “The dragon skull on his shoulder is a nod to the mythical Norse creature Níðhöggr.”