NinjaFlex is a flexible filament for 3D printers that produces flexible prints with elastic properties. However, anyone who has ever tried to print with NinjaFlex may have found that the filament doesn’t extrude very well. This is because it is so flexible that the filament buckles before reaching the hot end and can get tangled up.
Adafruit came up with an extruder upgrade to solve the problem. The extruder upgrade will work on the PrintrBot 3D printer. The files are available as a free download on Thingiverse.
- After you have printed the extruder upgrade, you can attach it to your 3D printer. To attach the upgrade:
- Remove both screws from the spring-loaded arm
- Place the part over the screw holes
- Use the existing screws to attach the filament guide
- Angle the spring screw into the heat lock and apply pressure to align the spring-loaded arm
- Hold down the arm while fastening the screw to the motor
- Adjust the spring to increase the pressure on the bearing
- This will tightly grip the bearing to the filament, pushing it up against the drive gear, allowing it to extrude.
For optimal prints:
- Set the temperature to 250 C
- Disable Retraction
- Decrease the travel speed to 30%